Amazon is a popular marketplace that accommodates a huge audience of traders and shoppers. With so many new brands joining the platform, it has become increasingly competitive. Launching a new Amazon store is not enough to start earning big money. Multiple competitors can sell the same products as yours and overshadow you in the eyes of potential customers.
An effective Amazon SEO strategy will help you run a high-profile seller account with an image of authority, and improve your search positions.
How the A9 Algorithm Works
Amazon has an internal search algorithm (A9) similar to those of Google or Bing. Companies whose products are featured at the top of Amazon pages are more likely to attract shoppers to their stores, since most shoppers rarely go more than a page or two deep when looking for a particular item. It is in your best interest to make nice with A9, so your products are displayed in prominent positions.
On the client side, a single click is enough to get a ranking for a particular keyword. But Amazon performs a complex two-stage process of selecting and ranking stores that align with search intent:
- In the first stage, A9 compares the search query with your content. If it is a match, your product page is indexed.
- In the second stage, A9 analyzes your performance metrics and decides in which position to place your offer.
Performance metrics include click-through-rate (CTR), conversion rate and sales. All indicators are collected on a keyword-specific basis. Using those metrics, A9 evaluates the likelihood of purchase being made, and decides whether featuring your products in top positions will be financially beneficial.
The Value of Amazon SEO
Amazon supports successful sellers since it nets 15% of the price of each item sold. When you earn, they earn as well. Your biggest challenge is getting started and growing your venture to get to the big leagues, to win the privileges of a large seller. You need to invest some time, money and effort in marketing to strengthen your store’s position in your niche arena and attract customers.
After this, your rankings will grow, bringing you even more customers from search. This mechanism of converting sales to higher rankings and higher rankings into sales can work almost without your involvement. But once you bring your store to the next level, you can’t afford to rest on your laurels. You need to continue to strengthen your marketing efforts. A9 is constantly evolving, like any other search algorithm. Losing track of updates can cost you sales and make you lose your Amazon ranking.
An effective SEO strategy will help you to establish yourself as a strong market player and maintain your position in the long run. You should either hire a marketing specialist to run and refine your optimization campaign on an ongoing basis, or learn the craft of SEO yourself. Start with these basic steps.
1. Collect Powerful Keywords
Keyword research is usually the first stage of every SEO campaign. Without keywords, you won’t even be on the radar of Amazon SERPs. Search results vary for each particular query, so it’s important to use as many relevant keywords as possible.
- Type the names of your products in Amazon’s search bar to discover which keyword phrases shoppers use to search for items like yours.
- Analyze competitors’ listings and reviews to find out how both sellers and buyers describe products in your niche.
- Use automated keyword research tools to speed up and simplify the keyword discovery process and get a plethora of valuable SEO insights.
2. Decide Where to Place Your Keywords
Add as many keywords as possible to the backend keyword field limited to 249 characters. These keywords won’t be displayed to customers. Distribute all remaining options among content fields: title, product description, bulleted points, etc. Amazon treats all keywords that are placed in indexed fields equally, but there are some specifics you should know about:
- Only the first 1000 characters (including spaces) of bulleted points are indexed, so you should keep each point under 200 characters.
- In some categories, product descriptions are not indexed.
3. Write Content that Encourages Sales
Embed your keywords in meaningful and unique texts that inspire conversions.
- Adhere to Amazon’s style guidelines.
- Do not only list characteristics, but also explain how they can benefit customers. Determine which advantages shoppers look for by analyzing your competitors’ listings and reviews.
- Use neatly formatted text to help users quickly find the information they’re looking for.
- Use Enhanced Content and A+ Content. According to Amazon, these advanced options increase conversions and sales by 3-10%.
4. Jazz Up Your Listings with Appealing Images
Before clicking links or reading product titles, users look at the main image. It should be beautiful and attention-grabbing. In fact, all photos provided on your product page should be of high quality. Blurry or unattractive images quickly alienate customers.
- Amazon requires you to take the main photo on a white background, with the product occupying 85-100% of the image.
- Additional photos can display lifestyle situations, to give shoppers an idea of how your product can be used.
- Take shots from various angles.
- Do not worry about uploading large images. Amazon provides a zoom feature.
5. Manage Your Reviews
A large number of positive reviews with a high rating can dramatically boost your position. Amazon pays close attention to customer feedback, since most Amazon shoppers look at reviews before making a purchase.
- Inspire your customers to post reviews by offering incentives.
- Be quick to handle negative reviews, showing your responsiveness and integrity.
- If customers frequently post similar questions, create a FAQ section on the product page, to help them quickly find the information they need.
6. Empower Your Marketing Campaign with PPC
SEO and PPC are two branches of digital marketing that work perfectly together. Appealing and meaningful ads displayed to the relevant audience will provide a traffic boost, increase your sales and push you higher in search.
7. Attract Traffic from External Channels
You cannot poach clients from Amazon to your website, but sending them to your Amazon store from other channels is endorsed by the marketplace administration. Advertise your seller account on social media, reference it from your blog articles, place links on forums and Q/A services, etc.
These tips won’t turn you into an Amazon SEO professional, but they provide a good starting point and offer some suggestions for growth. If you learn the craft of SEO step-by-step and put your knowledge into practice, you will attain satisfactory results. Or you can hire an Amazon marketing agency to develop a customized optimization strategy and promote your brand.